Dec 8, 2012

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)Author: Veronica Roth
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Here's a synopsis:
"In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her."

 *THERE ARE A COUPLE OF SPOILERS! NOT A LOT BUT A COUPLE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!*

OMG! OMG! OMG! I FUCKING LOVED THIS BOOK! Sorry about the eff bomb but I really loved this book. Usually if I really liked a book I would finish it in a day or two, but I couldn't just finish this that fast. I really did enjoy reading this book a lot. I had to savor this book one page at a time. I had been waiting over a year to read this book, and it's not that I couldn't get my hands on it, I was waiting for the chance to buy my own copy then read it. I didn't want to read it from the library or something then realize it was amazing and want to buy it. I wanted to read my own copy first. I don't have a lot of complaints about this book. Their not even complaints, just little things that confused me or just bothered me.

1) Al tried to kill Tris and then he killed himself because he felt guilty. He never liked Peter or his cronies in the first place so why would he join them and try to kill Tris when he likes Tris. We figure out that he has a crush on Tris. Why would he try to kill that same girl? It just bothered me. I felt that that exact moment when we figure out that Al is dead is a major turning point in the book. It shows the amount of stress and competition that has come up between all the Dauntless newbies.

2) Peter died but he was shot in the arm. How does someone die that quickly from a gun wound to the arm? Chad came to follow Tris when she had instructed him to stay with Peter because he was injured and she didn't trust him. So where did Peter go? Did he really die or did he end up getting help? They didn't discuss this or even give us any hints about it. This really confused me.

These were really the only thing two things to bother me in the book. I really felt for Tris when her mom died. I loved how much her mom sacrificed for her not being afraid that she might die, but I guess that comes along with being a Dauntless. I found Tris to be such a strong character. She was told that she was a Divergent, she had the choice to be in three groups: Dauntless, Erudite, and Abnegation, but I felt Tris also had Candor's intelligence and Amity's feeling for taking care of people. I found that Tris just had that glow of intelligence around her but her willingness for taking care of people was shown when she volunteered to take Al's place when Four was going to throw knives at Al because Eric thought it would be a good punishment for Al because he wouldn't go pick up his knives while everyone else was still throwing theirs. Tris is such an amazing character.

Now, to the character I have been waiting this whole review to talk about...Four or Tobias! Depends on what you guys call him. I like Four better, I don't think that Tobias totally fits Four's personality, so I'm just going to call him Four instead of Tobias. Anyway, I LOVE FOUR! <3 He is such a hottie! Yeah, he is, you guys can't deny it. I really thought my heart was going to break when we found out that Four was Tobias and his father abused him. He was abused so he left the Abnegation and transferred into the Dauntless. I felt so bad for him. The boy is afraid of small places because he used to be locked in the hall closet. Or I think it was the hall closet or at least some sort of closet. Also, when I found out that he too was a Divergent I was jumping up and down. It proved how much Tris and Four deserved to be together. It was a total "Yay!" moment.

Briefly I want to comment on the Dauntless being controlled to kill Abnegation. God, that was heartbreaking. I thought that I was going to cry my heart out. I was really upset. When Four became controlled, God, how much can a girl weep? I thought that the book would end that way and I would end up giving this book a negative 500. Yeah, it upset me that much, but eventually when Four came to his senses I was so happy and I thought it was such a great problem.

This book was amazing and I would recommend it to anybody and everybody. I can't wait until I can buy Insurgent and read it. I am so eager to hear about what happens in the rest of Tris and Four's relationship. I found this picture on Tumblr and found it absolutely hilarious. So after I read Insurgent I can't wait to read Detergent! Lol. I really want to figure out what the third book cover looks like and what it will be called. Will there be five books? One for each group? It would makes sense since the covers have the group symbols on them. I loved this book. GO READ IT PEOPLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment