Mar 4, 2013

Review: Rift by Andrea Cremer

Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Number of Pages: 430
Goodreads l Amazon

Synopsis:
“Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.”
Oh my god! I love this book. I love. I love it. I love it! If you’ve read the Nightshade Trilogy by Andrea Cremer then this is a must read! This is better than that series. All the characters, the plot, the everything. I think I died when I finished reading this!

I wanted to read this book for a very long time, but I could never get my hands on this. Finally one day I just gave in and put this book on hold at the library. When I got it, I waited for a while hesitant to read it because I didn’t want to ruin the Nightshade Trilogy but I finally gave in. I was stupid for waiting to read this. This book was amazing, fabulous, epic, and just plain beautiful. I loved this book, and now I want to get my own copy. I got to wait for a while though, but if any of you wanna send me some mail just say. ;) Just kidding.


Okay, on with the actual review. I guess what I really liked about this book was the chemistry between Ember and Barrow. Barrow is such a nice guy. He is the type of guy who spends his life protecting others but wants no help when it comes to protecting himself. I really liked that about him. Ember is desperately trying to push past the walls that he has up. Barrow wants to be with Ember as well but he thinks that it is wrong and that it wouldn’t be chivalrous. Barrow in a way is…a knight. He is a knight in shining armor. Instead of helping getting rid of crime, he just kills monsters…the real ones. The ones that hide under your bed or eat kids.


I loved the setting in this book. The setting…I can’t really place what time period it would be in but it is definitely a more old time where girls are expected to stay at home get married to the person of their father’s choice and then have kids. Ember is different from that. She doesn’t wish to get married. She wants to know how to wield a sword and fight. Eventually, that is what leads her to come to fight with the group Conatus. Ember is that type of spirit that just cannot be contained. It is itching to get free in any way that it can.


Andrea Cremer writes this book beautifully. You start to feel what the character is feeling and isn’t that what we look for in a book? To feel what the character is feeling and get to know them? I know that is definitely something that is a huge aspect of a book for me. For a book to get all 5 stars, I better be able to relate to those characters. Ms. Cremer did that beautifully and I love her for that. She has such unique writing style and I’m betting that you could give her any time period and she would be able to pull it off.


I didn’t understand one thing about this book and that is how this relates to the Nightshade trilogy. In the Nightshade Trilogy, Andrea Cremer writes about werewolves and here she just writes about people who kill unruly and murderous creatures. How do the two books relate? Either way I still really enjoyed this book.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment